Sunday, February 25, 2007

There is more inside....

The photos were taken today, at Chuck E. Cheeses. K.C. did well and I have noticed he tries to point more. The second photo (bit blurry) is of K.C. pointing with his pinky finger. He is learning to point more but uses his pinky. Now if we could just get him to point at the right times like when he needs something that will be huge! It will happen in time:) I have been thinking alot these days about High Functioning versus Low Functioning Autistic children. While K.C. isn't verbal yet, I feel there is so much inside him, I can see it in his eyes. It's almost as if there is so much going on inside his brain but it's locked up and we just haven't found a way of getting it out. Watching him today, I wondered if K.C. thinks in words in his head? When I talk to him is he answering in his head? There is just so much more inside him, I know he's an intelligent little boy even though some may describe him as low functioning.
I watched an amazing young lady named, Amanda Baggs on CNN. http://ballastexistenz.autistics.org/ Watching her opened my eyes, she is really amazing:) I thought of my son, how there is so much inside him, I want to do everything I can to help him communicate.
I have also been thinking alot these days about a hobby of some sort for K.C. I know he would be good at collecting things but he'd become obsessed with lining his collected items up. Tomorrow I am going to call Mesa Parks and Recreation to see if there is any programs for K.C. This weekend I bought Big Brother roller blades, he really likes them. He asked and asked for me to get a pair for K.C. so he could have someone to skate with. There has to be an activity that they both can do together that will hold K.C.'s attention just long enough. If anyone has any ideas that would be great!



Big Brother pictured above ^ he had a great time as well!

4 comments:

kristina said...

You know KC so well ad best and all that he has to say....are you looking for outdoor or indoor activities?

KC's Blog said...

Definitely outdoors, to work on his motor skills and to get the boys together, I just have to find something that will hold K.C.'s attention long enough. It's a toughy!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Oh it looks like you had a great time! Great news about the pointing.

redheadmomma said...

I think a lot about high functioning versus low functioning too. I think very much that K.C. and many other non-verbal kiddos are SO much smarter than people give them credit for. That because they don't speak, it's wrongly assumed that they don't feel, or think, or ponder, or work out problems in their head. My little guy was non-verbal and eventually found his words, so I know this for sure: we have some smart kiddos. You're doing the right thing: You're believing in him, and you're keeping the faith that you will see change. That's so wonderful and it reminds me to stop focusing on the crappy stuff and just focus on what can be. thanks.