Friday, June 22, 2007

New Sign! Hooray for K.C.!

(this photo is a few months old)
For the past couple of weeks we have been working very hard at getting K.C. to learn a new sign, "yes." Yesterday it paid off! K.C.'s ABA therapist was about to leave when K.C. took off running into the kitchen to climb on top of the kitchen table. K.C.'s daddy has been picking him up and wrapping his arms around his dad's neck and giving him piggy back rides. I have been doing it too but only, and I mean only if K.C. makes an effort to sign, "yes" after I say, "do you want a ride?" When I ask him this, I take his index finger, bend down just a bit to indicate, "yes." Sort of like you would do when kids are playing "where is thumbkin? Well, back to what I was saying, his ABA therapist went into the kitchen and asked K.C., "do you want a ride?" We both waited and watched his hands intently, there it came, he did, he used all of his fingers on his left hand moved them up and down and off he went for a ride upstairs and downstairs! K.C.'s therapist thought it would be easier for him to sign "yes" in that manner. We realize it isn't exactly the proper sign for "yes" but heck we'll take it! I had no idea K.C. understood yes or no because he has never nodded yes or no or said yes or no. We will be teaching him, "no" down the road. Can you all imagine how much easier K.C.'s life will be if we can teach him to sign "yes" and "no?" There is so much going on in his head and secretly I have been dying to ask him hundreds of questions. I don't know how much he understands of what we say but it's coming little by little. The first question I want to ask him is, "K.C. do you love Mama?" When he signs "yes" it will be the very best day of my life ever cause I will know K.C. isn't so much in his own world and that he does love his Mama just can't show it yet. That will be the best day ever. Pray for it everyone!

6 comments:

redheadmomma said...

I have absolutely no doubt that your dreams will come true, and KC will tell you more than you ever thought possible. :)

My 5 year old, Noah, used to completely nonverbal, I mean not one word. He picked up sign language through his speech clinic, and eventually found speech. But I wanted to mention that when he was learning signs, the OT and the rest of the team spent a lot of time making sure that the sign was do-able for Noah, because his fingers were so little. It doesn't matter at all if it's an approximation - make it EASY for him, and he'll thank you for it in the form of lots of answers! You are such a good mom, and I love reading your blog!

R

JUST A MOM said...

Tina that is great!!!!! I am sure hidden inside he has more love then you think.... some day...


nice music


Hey do you go to or have you gone to the synagog (sp?) on Rural I think they are buildinga new one where the old one was. What happened to the old one I wonder. Have great weekend.

GClef1970 said...

Oh my goodness, Tina!!! This is SO great!!!!! I'm so happy for you, I could cry!

gretchen said...

YAY K.C. !!!!!! What a happy day- this is just the beginning! I know that K.C. can't wait to communicate with you and tell you how much he loves you!!

kristina said...

Small things make for the biggest revolutions!

Lora said...

Oh Tina, this made me get all teary eyed and cry for joy! I am soooo happy for you guys and just thrilled as I am sure you are as well. It's just a matter of time til he lets you know that he loves you.....and then I will cry for sure! We love you guys and can't wait for more and more good news as time goes by.