Thursday, March 19, 2009

Please and Time To Swim!



I can't believe it's 90 degrees here. Too soon for me. Big Brother asked if we could go swimming yesterday and I agreed. He really didn't swim all that much but he did lay in the sun alot. K.C. sat at a table eating his snack he brought with him. He was such a good boy at the pool.

Last night as I was up with K.C. watching him play because he refused to lay down, I heard something I couldn't believe. K.C. got tired eventually and headed for the couch. When he's falling asleep he's always chattering and making noises. He was doing the same last night and I was smiling through the whole thing cause his little noises can be funny. Then after a few more noises I heard a "pwease." Yes, I really heard it I DID! I wasn't asleep or falling asleep. He said, "pwease" with a w sound. His eyes were shut and he was half asleep. My jaw dropped opened. I clapped quietly by myself and sat down to listen some more. The rest of his noises were just noises, but I heard him say, "pwease." I wish my Mom were here for me to call and tell her. As I drove the boys to school Adam rode in the front seat with me. Big Brother rode with K.C. I let them all know what I heard cause I had to share it with someone! I told K.C. he said it when he was half awake and half asleep. I bet he was having a dream about home or school and was needing something and said "pwease" in his head but it actually came out in his half awake half asleep state. I will be listening more every night. Wow is all I can say!
There is a little typical boy inside there. He thinks just like we do but can't get it out. I totally feel it.
I had to share this and document it in his baby book. Well it's turned into a journal after the baby book stopped at 5 years old. I once thought I would never be able to wrote down his first word ever. Now so far we have heard, "mama, up and pwease." The weird thing is we have only heard the 1 time and never again. Hopefully we will hear them more!

12 comments:

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

Donetta said...

Wow! that is so awesome!!!!!!!!!
Totally wonderful and I am so glad to celebrate it with you girl!
Too Cool!!!!!!!!!

Niksmom said...

Tina, I got choked up reading this. I remember the first time I ever heard Nik utter a word. *sigh* It's not real consistent but when it happens, it's beautiful.

Wishing you many more wonderful, musical sounds for your ears and heart. :-)

A Bishops Wife said...

Wonderful.

I am so happy. He may be saying it more than you are aware.

I just love Adams art.
Have you thought of makig them into cards or thank you notes?

It reminds me of Jackson Pollocks work. Beautiful.

Casdok said...

Yes its all in there!

And what good manners K.C. has!!! You must be over the moon :)

JUST A MOM said...

how neat is that huh,,, very way cool!

Brenda Heisler said...

Glad to find your blog. Your son is doing well and you are learning to take care of yourself and just enjoy your kids. That's wonderful.

Here's someone you might want to connect with. Trey Dockery. He has a site about autism.

I'm following your blog now with the Google Friend Connect. I blog about technology and just did a post about it with videos to help others. My blog is Wiser by the Wrinkle.

Clive said...

We've just come across your blog and wanted to say hello and also congratulations on those two words. More will follow!

Re your last post - we found joining a local special needs club in our area that had activities for the siblings also, really helped our daughter (15 mths older than her autistic brother). She could chat to other siblings and they could have a moan etc about their siblings with other kids who really understood. Our son's special needs school also runs a two week summer camp every year for siblings and that had been of great benefit too. If you can find something similar it might be of great benefit to your older son.

Regards

GClef1970 said...

Tina, I was teary-eyed over this post!

I know that KC has it in there. He just has problems processing it and having it come out. If I remember, he was sleepy when you heard "Mama", too. Maybe being tired and more relaxed helps the words come out.
I've been thinking about you a lot lately. There is a boy at Conor's school (he used to be in Conor's class but aged out and is in the older class now) who has severe apraxia. For some reason, he is drawn to me. He always wants to hold my hand and give me hugs. He has to work SO hard to get "HI" to sound anything like the word "HI" and I know it is simply a processing issue.
I know that KC knows some signs, but this little boy has really gotten me thinking: have you thought about having someone teach KC sign language? I mean, how wonderful would it be to *communicate* with him, right?? Maybe it would help him relax and be able to use verbal language, too. Just a thought. Hope I didn't offend you. You know I'd never want to do that. I just love your sweet boys from all the way across the country. Wish we lived closer! xoxo

Dad Stuff said...

I bet he's not done surprising you yet. What a great feeling it must have been.

Lora said...

OMG, That is sooooooo wonderful!!!! I am so proud of K.C. what a great little guy he is and you know he is so smart too. What a thrill that must have been for you, WOW! I will send you an e-mail tonight. Hugs to everyone we love you!

Jade, Mike, and Gabe said...

Just happened across your blog. Congrats on the words! My son is 5 with mild-moderate asd. He was pretty much non-verbal this time last year (Fall 2008), only said one word "pizza" and that was for anything. He use to say random "real" words once and then we would never hear it again too. One time, he looked at me and said, " I want to go outside and play" and I nearly fell to the floor! It makes you wonder if you want them to talk so badly that you are going crazy, but you KNOW that what you heard was real! We do a lot of biomed stuff now that is helping him SOOOOOO much. It's amazing! Feel free to check out our blog sometime. :) Take care!