Thursday, January 28, 2010

It's been awhile....



Hello Friends,
It's been awhile since I last blogged. We have been doing well and the boys are growing like weeds! We traveled twice, the first time was to be with family in Israel and the second trip was to just get away for a couple weeks. KC does well on trips only if his doctor gives me a sedative to give to him just before. Long trips are very tough on him so God Bless his doctor for making it possible. Adam my little brother is used to flying pretty much. My Parents used to go quite a bit and as long as he has something to watch he's good (and that he gets a window seat as he looks and looks endlessly.) Big Brother is a chatterbox and his questions come at me left and right, he's changed quite a bit just over the year and has become someone who can outwit his Mom and pull the wool over any one's eyes. My dear friend College Boy has taken to calling him, "Scamp." Big Brother has a huge heart and listens to him Mama well. I know one thing for sure and certain, no one will take advantage of him in life or his brothers as long as he has any say in the matter.
K.C. has been eating everything he can put or fit in his mouth lately. Pennies, buttons on his clothes, even steel buttons he will try to chew off. I've caught him licking the walls and totally rushed with a wet wash cloth to wipe his tongue off. He's been healthy so far which surprises me because of how much he;s been putting in his mouth. We went through the entire house looking for anything he may eat or could choke on. This all happening within a two month period. It's getting terrible. Icky germs. I did get all the boys swine flu shots and seasonal flu shots. Lysol is a must now more than ever.
KC has also learned to put his own underwear and shorts on. He's been totally dry and will wear underwear all day long! As for going number 2, no way. He will hold it, be in pain rather than sit on the toilet. He's terrified of siting on the toilet. He literally shakes and screams. I feel so bad for him to see him so scared and wind up putting a diaper on him just for going poop. I'm not sure how to handle it just yet and I don't want to push him and ruin everything he's accomplished so we are taking it slow. I'm thinking when he's ready we will know.
Still not talking. Not a word. Not even close. Not to many sounds come from him, when they do they are garbled raspberries. I've come to accept that he may be nonverbal child forever. He does communicate with some signs and pictures. Pictures mostly. He knows his pictures are his way of communication and when he hands me one or I lay out choices of foods, like three choices he will scan them and hand me one. He's learned, "just one." We have our picture book everywhere we go. Even McDonald's. I've been through that drive-thru so much and as we approached in the past I'd always say, "do you want Nuggets or Hamburger?" I'd get total silence. Then came the picture book as I call it. His teacher and I printed up some McDonald's foods and he can surely pick one! I feel so much happiness knowing KC actually got what he wanted without a doubt! The happiness may seems so small to outsiders of the Autistic world but to you Mom's and Dad's and Brother's and Sisters know how good it feels and how their siblings clap and get excited for our kids with Autism.
Another change I have noted on KC but NOT big Brother. KC is almost 9 and Big Brother will be 10. KC has arm pit hair already! His legs have dark hair too! I was horrified. He's so young. Anyone else notice this on their kids? Big Brother noticed when they were taking a bath. He said, "Mom I'm older than him why is he turning into a man already?" O.k. that statement made me chuckle but still I had to say, "That's just the way God made him." Then he said, "Like his Autism too?" I agreed. I mean I wonder too but this was a good enough explanation for Big Brother and he didn't press but did look at me and as I said before he's a chatterbox, "Him KC has kinda bad luck Mommy." I didn't want to keep it going and for once he didn't press on. Maybe it was the look I gave.
Adam hasn't pinched in a month and a half! He used to pinch like crazy. We think we got that beat! He has chewy tube and his hands are always on it. It's a foot long as it was the ONLY one he'd take. He's happy with it and that's all that matters. We are happy when he's happy. He's painting alot, beautifully I might add. He has a gift from God when it comes to painting. I buy him the best paints money can buy, his room as you walk in is gorgeous. We are starting this weekend to have his walls painted white and nice and clean and then have him prepped (as it may take awhile from hs paint instructor (who has been wonderful working with Autistic kids and says that Adam has Savant skills in painting!) Do you know how proud I am? I knew this before he even told me. I've watched him.
Anyways back to his room. We are having his room painted white and we are going to try to get the idea across to him that his room walls are his canvas. I'm not sure how long it will take but I know he can do it with his teacher at his side. I want Adam to make his room come to life with his artwork all over his walls. My Parents would have been so proud and honestly I think I can imagine my Dad's mouth hanging open in amazement. My Parents sheltered Adam somewhat and he was limited in what he could do. I see no limit in his ability to do art.
I have been doing well. Healing each day mentally. Some days are way better than others but I have the boys to keep my mind from wandering to far. They are truly a blessing. Had my boys not been with me, I would have totally lost it.
Well my friends, thank you for stopping by and we hope you little guys and girls are well and that you are all doing well, we always pray for that.
I will blog more, especially about Ad Mans room!

12 comments:

redheadmomma said...

Oh my GOODNESS, where did your little boys go! They are HUGE!!! SO glad you wrote & gave us an update!! Just a thought because Noah has problems with generalizing - I'm sure you've thought about teachin Adam that he should paint on his walls only. I would worry about his starting to paint on all the walls in your house, or even thinking that all white walls (in the world) are okay to paint on.

That all being said, I'm an artist too, and I really applaud your thinking outside the box on his painting. There's an ASD kid up here that is quite well known for his paper-piecing pieces of artwork, and I believe is nonverbal. He sells them off the site his grandmother made for him. Pretty cool!

Hugs your kids for me! R
p.s. come over to my blog & check out the disability awareness fair I just put on!

Donetta said...

Hello, So wonderful that the days are bring much to celebrate.
A thought ...I have heard it said that sometimes a mineral need can cause the mouthing or at least the licking of walls. Perhaps if not already doing so you may consider adding some gummy vit/mineral supplements additionally iron.
Just a thought
I had a wonderful room in our last home where the neighbor kids came as a safe house.
I painted a larger tree on one wall and then grass around the base. A blue background sky.
Each child that came painted a bird or critter on the wall we had rabbit, eagle, squirrel and so many many more.
There were flowers and plants.

Doing a base element might give him permission. Even if it might be taped off frames of paint for him to fill in.

Oh it is going to be so wonderful to be surrounded by his mind and heart through art.

mommy~dearest said...

So happy you're back! :)
Wow, wow, WOW! Lots of things happening! So happy to hear all of the things KC is accomplishing, Big Brother is understanding, and Adam is painting! His paintings are gorgeous *ahem etsy*...

Looking forward to reading more!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

My eight-year-old is much taller than my nine-year old as well. It's just how God made 'em. My Elf thinks that being an Elf is great, though, and he gets sad when he hears that he has grown one year to the next. :)

Melinda said...

WOW everything sounds great! Noah has hair too ....more as a mustache! I mean it is really noticeable. He is also getting hair on his legs and a bit under his arms and other places...not a lot...all blond but what is on his face! He has had the mustache for a couple of years and he just turned 11 in December! THIS year it is really noticeable!

It sounds like your kids are all doing so well! I am anxious to see the paintings Adam will do on his walls or elsewhere!

ALSO....Noah took forever to use the toilet for number 2. It was a nightmare! He finally came around.....but then would not want anything to do with wiping himself for years after that. This was all well after 5-1/2 years old. Just about 2 years ago at 9 did he finally start really wiping himself with wet wipes and sticking those wipes into a bag. Last year he finally learned how to tie off those bags himself. SO....finally at 10 I do not have to do anything with him in the bathroom anymore (unless we go to someone else's house sometimes he will need help then).

Good to hear about all this wonderful progress!

kristi said...

Nice to hear from you. I was wondering about you earlier today!

Lora said...

Hi my dear ole friend, I have missed you terribly and so glad that things are working out well at home. It is good to know that the trip went well and that Ad Man is chewing on the tube instead of pinching and that his painting is coming along. I feel for KC and the potty situation but it will happen eventually just as you said. I can't believe that he is maturing so fast, he and BB are getting so big! It is amazing! Tomorrow is Griffin's birthday...He will be 8 years old, I can't believe that he has gotten so big and has made it so far. It is so bittersweet that he has grown so fast, become so independent, and yet he is still my little guy. It breaks my heart but it is good that he has progressed.

I love you guys and hope that we can keep in close contact like we used to, because I miss you so much. We send you big hugs and so much love!!!!

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Wonderful to hear so many good things! Keep up your positive attitude and G-d continue to strengthen you.

As to developing, it's interesting. Our son (PDD-NOS) is actually kind of slow, as far as I can tell, to get body hair. He'll be 16 this summer and I haven't seen any sign, but I don't get a chance to look, either. Certainly at 10 or 11 he did not yet have adolescent body hair.

Keep enjoying those boys and can't wait to see photos of Adam's work on his walls!

JUST A MOM said...

WELL I AGAIN AM LATE... SUPRISES? NO. I am happy to read all is going so well... keep up hte good work.

Kent said...

Hi there!

Hows KC doing? I just came across your blog, and I wondered if you would like to post something about a short video series our company just produced for Autism Awareness Month as a part of our Weekly Tips Series.

In the first video, our therapists highlight some key early signs of autism that parents can look for while showing video examples. The next three videos feature a single mother, Trina Mcfield and her twin sons, one of which was diagnosed with autism.

The videos are contained within a popup on our website http:www.rethinkautism.com and I hope you take a look and help spread the word for Autism Awareness Month!

Thanks!

Kent Kincannon
Production Manger
Rethinkautism.com

GClef1970 said...

Hi Tina -

Just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you. Sending love and hugs your way.

xoxo

Melissa

Unknown said...

Hi--I came over via The Autistic Me.

You certainly have your plate full! I think it's so wonderful how you are taking care of your brother and giving him a place to create. That's lovely.

I can relate to your little guy getting "hair." My daughter started to smell and I cried--she was only 8yo. Only now is she getting zits and growing--she's 11 now.

I also have 2 sons; 1 w/asperger's and 1 w/possible ADHD and Tourette's.

Life sure is different!