Friday, June 05, 2009

KC at 2 years old

I found some video of K.C. and Big Brother when they were two and three years old. The video is quite old and grainy but thought I would post it anyways. Looking back (please watch entire video) I can see how I was in denial about K.C. having Autism. It was very clear then that he had no eye contact and loved flapping and spinning himself in circles. Still I looked the other way knowing that my brother has Autism and it was possible for my own child to have it as well. Those were tough days. Getting help and early intervention made a huge difference, had I kept looking the other way who knows what K.C. would have been like today.
Today K.C. is a very happy Big Boy who is nearly 8 years old. We love him dearly and he puts a smile on our faces everyday. Did I mention he knows how to give kisses now? You can imagine I am in heaven and request at least 20 kisses a day! He is amazing.

6 comments:

Niksmom said...

Tina, this was sweet to watch. Not the early evidence of the autism but the clear cut evidence of how mch big brother loved KC even back then!

Hurray for progress, awareness, action...and KISSES! Those are the best!

Sending you love and good thoughts from me & Nik.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Very big difference between the brothers! KC was such a chubby cute boy. Pinch-able! :]

Casdok said...

Hes so cute!
I am jelous about you getting kisses! So yes i can very much imagine you being in heaven.

Eileen said...

They are so cute Tina! Hope you all are well!!!

GClef1970 said...

I have been trying to get back here all week to comment on this! I think that we, as moms, are too hard on ourselves. Here I have a child with autism and I *still* wouldn't have looked at KC and thought that there were any glaring signs. I think your boys are just beautiful and God is holding them in His hands. Fear not, friend. xoxo

Staying Afloat said...

I just found this blog. You have an impressive array of resources- thank you for giving me access to them

My heart breaks as I watch this. We all want to believe we're completely on top of things with our kids, but we miss things because we're human, and the kids are cute, and...

I remember the good old days before the diagnosis. But then the world moves on, and then all the misgivings have an explanation and hopefully a plan. And there's a sort of calm in that.